The Spiral Grove

The place for creative updates!

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Pleasures and Pateaus~Another Ramble

I have been so very in limbo this past year and the whole winter all I have thought about is when and if we are moving someplace else. Last night as we sat under a full moon with only the gentle sounds of owls to keep us company James and I talked. Turns out he is really enjoying his new job and this place and I am getting the feeling that we will be here for a while. In many ways this comes as a relief. While I have not enjoyed the isolation, at least I know what I am dealing with. I won't feel foolish for painting the windows or laying new tile.

If the "prolific" comment slowed me down, it isn't showing. I have completed eight chapters in Mabel's Grave, I have the package for Medallion Press ready on Legacy of Silence and, after a long chat with God about my creativity, A Wino's Tale is speaking to me again. I am feeling ready to polish it and have some solid ideas on how to flesh it out. It will likely still be the smallest of my novels, but I think it will be completed this summer.

There is nothing quite like singing in the wind to jumpstart one's creativity. Tonight has been a windy one. I spent a good hour outside in the dark singing in the wind. Everything from Elvis Presley, to old Hymns, to Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Now I am ready to work.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:43 AM, Blogger Glenn Walker said…

    Would love to see your set list for singing in the wind. :-)

    Seriously it may have been cathartic for you but I think it would be a wonderful scene for a character in a book or story.

    If you don't want it, I'm stealing it. ;-)

     
  • At 1:02 AM, Blogger R.L. Grace said…

    Set list? You're too funny. But I can play along. I think it went something like:

    Can't Help Falling In Love-Presley
    Red River Valley-Folk Song
    Amazing Grace-Hymn
    Wicked Little Town-Hedwig
    Once Upon A Dream- Disney
    Somewhere Over the Rainbow-Garland
    To God We Are Dedicated- Hymn
    Origin of Love-Headwig

    Wistful mood? Or just accepting that I can't quite pull off Angry Inch or Hound Dog? You decide.

    All to an accompaniment of coyotes of course.

    As for stealing, life should imitate art right? I rarely write autobiography, do what you will.

    Besides I originally got the idea from Libby Rodderick (Folk singer, early 90s I think), on her "Singing Like a Mountain" CD she has a line in a song I adore that goes, "I never have seen a holier sight, than a person who sings in the wind."

    And I thank her for it, it has really served me well.

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    sorry...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home