The Spiral Grove

The place for creative updates!

Friday, May 06, 2005

Conquests, Failures and Purple People Wars

Well, I am back from the conference, actually it has been a full week since the conference. So why have I taken so long to update? In a word EXHAUSTION! Vicky and company did a wonderful job lining up knowledgeable, and fabulous people to fill our minds at the conference. Truly, it was overwhelming. I can't say enough what a fine job they did. Though there were no poetry offerings I do believe that every other genre and type of writing had representation. That is a huge accomplishment, kuddos to them.

The Golden Girls (Sue, Gwen, Raymona and Jesse) and I traveled together and banded together even in rough times. We had a bit of confusion with another group of purple people. The Writer's of the Purple Sage have been around for decades, but just recently someone has taken up a very similar group name that caused some huge confusion. It worked out in the end, but got fairly intense at points leading me to develop a terrible crush on Gwen. She is so cool. I want to grow up and be just like her.

Writer's of the Purple Sage took home so many awards I lost count entirely. One of our members even won the Creme De La Creme Award. Now how cool is that? I won one for a piece of flash fiction In Fear of Addy. It is a short story based on my experiences raising a very high maintainance child. The award I am most proud of though, went to my newly adopted big brother Scott McMurphy for his Sci-Fi Fantasy Novel The Accidental Hero. I couldn't have been happier if it were me. I believe he left the conference fired up to polish and complete the manuscript and will be shopping it soon. Look for it in a bookstore near you!

I did talk to several agents about my Legacy of Silence. I gotta tell you, there is something about telling an utter stranger about your work. It is very akin to the feeling one gets when called to the principal's office. It must be bacause rejection is so rampant in this business and I have read too many tales of an agent and author discussing a manuscript over happy hour and after the author finishes his spiel the agent barks "So what?"

Well none of those I talked to were nearly so rude. Even so they were intimidating because of how young and gorgeous they were. I mean really, I never expected to be pitching my book to someone my kids age. I guess that's what I get for waiting so long to write a book.

One of the agents I spoke with did ask to take my manuscript home with her, and my Golden Girls were all a twitter about it. I am glad she is going to read it and am hopeful that she will be interested in representing the book, but I am also maintaining some realism. I am prepping a package to send out now to Medallion Books and compiling a list of other small presses open to un-agented submissions. I figure it can't hurt to sell the manuscript before the agent makes up her mind right? It might even give her more incentive to get on board.

In the meantime I am working up the outline for Mabel's Grave and have written two full chapters.

One thing that struck me at the conference was how human the business is. The fabulous, glitzy people from New York, are in fact just people. Many of them are terribly shy and introverted and have just as rough a time coming up with something interesting to say as I do. I sat with one woman who obviously wanted to chat, but the first thing that came out of her mouth was "Did you know I have to walk my cat on a leash?" Another woman, kept stating the obvious every time I ran into her. "You have a lot of hats" or "Wow, you're wearing purple shoes."

Uh huh, I do have a lot of hats and my shoes were indeed purple. They had to be. After all, Robyn and I have the purply pact that requires the wearing of purple pumps whenever we promote our work. Though I have learned a lesson, I need more comfortable purple pumps. Especially when I will be standing in line with 480 people waiting for the banquet doors to open.

I am home now and almost rested up from the ordeal. James missed me terribly and the baby hasn't let me out of her sight. The teens let all their chores drop and so I will be cleaning for weeks to catch up, but I think all in all they are glad to have me back. Pictures soon, and ta ta for now.

3 Comments:

  • At 3:43 PM, Blogger Glenn Walker said…

    Wow, you have a lot of hats. Want to see my cat? :-D

    Sounds like you had fun and got stuff done. One good thing about being the Hat Lady is that people remember you - that's important.

     
  • At 6:48 AM, Blogger freddy said…

    Congrats on the award!! Glad you had a fun and successful time!!

     
  • At 11:38 PM, Blogger Glenn Walker said…

    This is going to sound so silly, but it makes me so happy to see two of my favorite writers commenting on each others' work. Ronii and Freddy, you both rock!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home